The Storage Engineer is highly technical and requires a thorough understanding of SAN and NAS Infrastructure. The candidate will also have an in depth understanding of storage backup and restore technologies. The candidate understands IT methods and applies them to projects/problems of moderate scope. Possesses strong technical knowledge in this specific technology area to perform predictive analysis, performance analysis, monitor systems and identify, resolve root cause for issues, and is able to guide others in adaptive problem solving and uses innovative approaches to proactively tackle a broad range of problems in order to develop the appropriate recommendation, and to implement permanent solutions.
The Storage Engineer possesses a strong SAN/NAS and backup technology knowledge with exceptional problem-solving skills to address complex problems within the technical arena and develop creative and practical recommendations. The candidate will be able to apply skills to resolve problems. He/she will be able to work with leaders to provide input to decisions. Discusses and presents information and issues internally within IT and business staffs. The candidate is able to interface with all levels of IT management in business terms. He/she is viewed as a technical resource and/or subject matter expert by peers within IT.
Understands business partner/customer group’s business objectives and how their work can help the business realize its objectives or, in the event of problems, adversely affect their productivity.
- Provide 24×7 2nd level support of backup and recovery framework by responding to escalated issues, troubleshooting errors and developing technical solutions to ensure implementation of process improvements.
- Support for all products, solutions or processes as assigned and in accordance with internal Support Management standards and procedures.
- Support and maintain hardware, software and connectivity components by analyzing the functionality of infrastructure framework and designing and planning major upgrades and changes to ensure reliability and availability.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders by regularly communicating, clarifying technical solutions and supporting timely and efficient team operations by utilizing and sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating cultural expectations and influencing others to reward performance and value “can do” people, accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity and fun.
- Support Business and IT customers through service and change requests submitted.
- Maintain a common documentation library of standardized procedures and configurations.
- Work with business representatives, IT Management, IT development, support teams and vendors to ensure on time, on budget, and quality delivery of technical solutions that support the strategic direction of the business and IT.
- Collaborate across Operations and Implementation teams to determine best solutions for support.
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in a specific Systems Technology area in a large-scale, distributed, corporate environment.
- B.S. in a technical field, Computer Science preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with Enterprise products of which 5+ years’ experience engineering or supporting system solutions including integration and deployment of EMC storage systems, including VMAX, NVX, NetApp, Data Domain, RecoverPoint and related storage replication technologies.
- Working knowledge of stroage area networking – Cisco / Brocade switches, fiber channel and FCOE.
- Working knowledge of two or more infrastructure technologies including Windows Server OS, UNIX, EMC Storage Systems, Backup and Recovery tools, and VMware virtualization.
- Working knowledge of fundamental IT concepts, systems, platforms, tools and technologies, hardware, software and services.
- Applied knowledge of processes and procedures for maintaining and troubleshooting tools and technologies.
- Unix Shell / PERL / VB Scripting.
- Strong understanding of Service Desk, Incident Management, Problem Management, Change Management, Configuration Management and Computer Operations IT disciplines absolutely preferred.
- Results oriented, willing to take responsibility and accept accountability for action.
- Genuine desire to provide superior customer service.
- Comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis.
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency.
- Ability to work on multiple, simultaneous initiatives of which he/she will apply their applicable business, technical and system functionality background.